Apartment Health: Purple & Blue Produce Essential To Good Health
Fruits and Vegetables with Blue and Purple Hues
With the holidays past us, you’re probably worried about the excess weight you gained. It is a great time to jump start any fitness resolutions you have. Deciding on what fruits and vegetables to help you attain your ideal weight is important. Deciding on what you like, what you don’t like, and how you’d like to prepare it all come into play, however, did you know that eating produce with blue and purple hues contains more flavonoids than other foods?
Flavonoids, found in many purple and blue foods, contain enough phytochemicals that are great for anti-aging and cardiovascular health. Eating plenty of these will help prevent short-term memory loss, reduce the risk of heart disease, and keep your intestines healthy with essential bacteria.
So, what foods are the best? Well, according to PBHFoundation.org, we should be including several fruits and vegetables in our diets.
- Blackberries & Blueberries – Rich in antioxidants! Eat with a cup of Greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey to satisfy your morning hunger.
- Dried plums – Natures cure for constipation. Eat dried plums for optimal bowel and intestinal health.
- Raisins - Great for a small snack on the run. Don’t overlook raisins! They are also great for providing antioxidants while giving your bowl of steel cut oats a sweet taste.
- Purple Cabbage – While green cabbage is good, purple is better. And yes, it is better for its dark purple leaves. Substitute for your next stir-fry.
- Purple Potatoes – My last but favorite item. Purple potatoes — or blue — are also just as tasty as the white potatoes.
Find more fruits and vegetables on the PBHFoundation website. There you’ll find a more comprehensive list of produce. Do not discount other colored produce which are also just as helpful and healthy for your new year’s diet!
What fruits and veggies do you find most important? What recipes do you recommend? Let us know on our comment board or share with us on Facebook!